Fiona Austin-Byrne – Project Conservator
As Project Conservator I am responsible for the packing, protection and storage of the historic collection at Mount Stewart. I work closely with the joiners, house staff, family members and specialist engineers and conservators to make this happen as efficiently and professionally as possible, following best practices in conservation, whilst offering access for an enjoyable visitor experience.
We hope to improve environmental conditions, display techniques and conserve or replace items to lift the presentation of all rooms.
By the end of the project we will be able to open several more rooms all over the house.
I’m actively seeking volunteers to help me with the following tasks:
- Moving and packing furniture and objects
- Making bespoke in-situ protection for fixtures or large items
- Conservation cleaning and writing condition reports for objects
- Cataloguing objects (IT skills desirable)
- Making individual furniture dust covers (basic dressmaking skills essential)
Full training and supervision provided and travel expenses paid.
It would be a great opportunity for students or graduates looking for experience working in the heritage sector or those who would just like to be involved with the work of the National Trust during the project and beyond.
Please contact me to arrange an initial visit and chat.